Monday, January 30, 2012

There's a new kid in town.....Dunedin

Well, dear readers, there is a new thrift/second hand clothing store in Dunedin: 
Toffs
I discovered this Savemart-esque styled store when I was really looking for the Hayward Auction rooms on Princes Street so I could view the vintage clothing listed in their current auction.  I had read the advertisement in the Otago Daily Times that morning and had instantly honed in on the "vintage clothes" as well as noticing there was some New Zealand Railway memorabilia which appealed immensely to my dear Husband.  As we parked outside Haywards I noticed a large new white sign across the road proclaiming in large bold letters 
Toffs
Anyway, due to timing issues - my dear H and dear D were actually on our way to go to the movies to see The Mysterious Island in 3D - I could not devote much time to looking around.  So I honed in on what looked like the "retro" section and quickly skimmed through the hangers.  A fabulous pink purple black paisley pucci patterned maxi skirt with belt $30.  It was truly gorgeous and in excellent condition but outside my budget.  Belts $2, hats $2.  Judging by the rows of racks and the colour coordinated sections it looked like it was modelled on Savemart.  I quickly dashed across the road and entered Haywards, frantically looking for husband and daughter knowing that we had 5 minutes to get to the movies.  When I found them they were happily looking at a banjo-mandolin.  The NZR memorabilia had not been discovered!  

From a quick google search it would seem that Toffs has branches in other towns in NZ including Christchurch.  I can't believe I had never heard of it, or that I had missed any advertising proclaiming the opening.  I read the local paper daily as it is delivered to work. 


So, when I have time this week I am going to take the car at lunch time and have a decent look around the new store in Town: Toffs. 


Hope you are all having a good week!  Bye!

7 comments:

  1. Oooo might have to check this out on my next Dunedin trip! :) I made a quick visit to shop on carrol in the weekend and found a super cute vintage apron :)

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...yet another reason to return to Dunedin later this year....fingers crossed! Thanks for all of the Dunedin thrifting tips. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Toffs may actually be older than Savemart. We have a couple here including one where everything is $2. It used to be amazing but the last year or so I haven't found much there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have heard some wonderful and mysterious things about ChCh Toffs. Visited there CBD store before quake. Was not too shabby. I am immensely looking forward exploring this place. Please tell all when you go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes! Thanks for the tip off, I'll be in Dunners next week! Christhcurch toffs was ace, especially the $2 one. Not sure if it still going though, maybe it moved down south post quakes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Toffs - maybe its a South Island thing? Let us know when you have a chance to have a better look. I am in serious need of an op shopping fix, its been too long since I had a decent op shopping adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yip "Toffs" is great!!!! There city shop was closed after the quake. Like so many of us I would say after a year they have had to look other ways of doing business!!! Yay for Dunedin.
    Will have to go when down next time. Lovely. v

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback and comments from readers!